BACOA can provide older adults and their families with information on a variety of benefits. These include:
- Medicare—including Part D—and Medicare supplements
- Prescription drug assistance
- Retiree health plans
- Claims processing
- Long-term care
- BACOA is a SHIP (Senior Health Insurance Program) site providing counseling and information on a variety of health insurance topics:
- The “When I’m 64″ series in September helps beneficiaries better understand Medicare
- Medicare A and B, Medicare Part D, and Medicare supplements
- Medicare Advantage
- Medicare Medicaid Alignment Initiative
- Medicare Cost Savings Plans for beneficiaries with low income
- Assistance in understanding Medicare claims processing and filing appeals
- From mid-October through early December, SHIP-certified counselors take appointments to evaluate Medicare Part D plans to ensure beneficiaries are getting the best pricing
- Prescription drug assistance for beneficiaries with low income
- Medicare prevention and wellness benefits
- The Healthcare Insurance Marketplace for those 64 and under without insurance
If you have difficulty paying for Medicare or accessing lower-cost health care, you may qualify for federal programs that can help you. Read more about them, including what they cover and their eligibility requirements, and call BACOA at (847) 381-5030 for enrollment assistance.
AARP Income Tax Assistance Program
AARP-certified volunteers assist seniors with their income tax returns.
Benefit Access website
Senior and disabled ride free transit and license plate sticker discount for lower incomes
Heat, electric, and other assistance for low-income families in Northwest Cook County
For a personal appointment, call BACOA at (847) 381-5030.